Rules & Regulations
- The International Ballet Grand Prix Singapore (IBGPS) is open to dancers of all nationalities, ages 7 to 19.
- A candidate’s age is determined as of 31st May 2021.
- Professional dancers are not permitted to compete in this competition. Professional dancers are defined as persons who are currently, or has been, employed as a full-time dancer (apprentices included) with a professional dance company.
- Candidates may enter representing a school or as an independent student without school affiliation.
- Each candidate may only be admitted once for the competition in the appropriate category. Candidate must not be entered in two (2) different age categories.
- Participants residing in Singapore must compete in the physical competition. Online competition is only available for overseas participants.
|Category||Age (as of 31 May 2021)||Genre|
|Junior 1||7 – 8||Ballet|
|Junior 2||9 – 10||Ballet|
|Youth 1||11 – 12||Ballet and/or Contemporary|
|Youth 2||13 – 14 * pointe optional for ballet||Ballet and/or Contemporary|
|Senior 1||15 – 16 * pointe shoes compulsory for ballet||Ballet and/or Contemporary|
|Senior 2||17 – 19 * pointe shoes compulsory for ballet||Ballet and/or Contemporary|
- IBGPS reserves the right to deny any registration at its discretion.
- Applicants will be disqualified should there be any false information filled in the entry forms.
- Entries are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Registrations will close when the competition has reached its maximum capacity, or by 15 July 2021, whichever comes first.
- Late entries will incur an administrative fee of $80.
- All changes of registered information, including variation selection, must be received no later than six weeks prior to the competition.
- Change of registered information will incur an administrative fee of $80 and may not be reflected in the competition program booklet.
- Registration is only confirmed upon receipt of payment.
The same fee applies for both physical and online competition
- Registration Fee (both physical & online)
- S$240 (single genre)
- S$380 (two genres)
- Competition registration fee includes:
- Competition entry
- 1 Online Judged Class
- All registration and final fees are non-refundable and non-transferable under any circumstances.
- All amounts are quoted and payable in Singapore dollars only.
- Ballet candidates must perform a variation from the Classical Variation List.
- Ballet candidates in the Youth 2 category may choose to perform in pointe shoes or soft ballet shoes. There will be no additional marks awarded for candidates who perform in pointe shoes. IBGPS encourages all candidates to practise safe and correct technique if performing in pointe shoes.
- Ballet candidates in the Senior 1 and Senior 2 category are required to perform in pointe shoes.
- For all Classical variations, slight modification and/or simplification of the original choreography are allowed.
- If significant changes are made to a classical variation, this may result in point deduction or disqualification.
- For Contemporary candidates, the time limit for the dance is 2.5 minutes.
- Contemporary candidates must exhibit strong contemporary technique.
- Details of the Videography Guidelines will be provided after registration.
This applies for both physical and online competition
- Competitors are to perform their solo variation in costumes for both Ballet and Contemporary segments.
- Attire for online judged ballet class
- Female: Single-coloured sleeveless leotard, pink tights, pink soft ballet shoes/pointe shoes for solo.
- Male: Single-coloured fitted singlet, single-coloured footed tights, soft ballet shoes in same colour as tights for solo.
- Attire for online judged contemporary class
- Female: Single-coloured sleeveless leotard, pink tights, soft ballet shoes/barefoot/foot thongs for solo.
- Male: Single-coloured fitted singlet, single-coloured footed tights, soft ballet shoes in same colour as tights/barefoot/foot thongs.
- The jury is comprised of both male and female judges.
- The final score for each candidate is the average of scores given by the jury for both Judged class and variation/solo.
- A jury member who is associated with any candidate or school will be exempted from giving marks to the candidate(s).
- Physical & Online (for overseas competitors only) competition will be judged and awarded separately.
- The jury’s decision on all prizes and scholarships awarded is final and irrevocable.
- The jury reserves the right to offer any award or scholarship based on the suitability of the candidate.
- Candidates are required to attend 1 online judged class.
- Attendance is compulsory for 1 online judged class specified for each age category. Failure to attend will lead to disqualification.
|IBGPS Competition for local competitors||University Cultural Centre|
|IBGPS Competition for overseas competitors||Video Submission by 30th August 2021|
University Cultural Centre Theatre (UCC)
50 Kent Ridge Crescent, National University of Singapore, Singapore 119279
Stage dimensions: 11.5m (width) by 11m (depth)
- Viewing of the competition from the auditorium requires a theatre admission ticket. This applies to all candidates, teachers and/or other accompanying persons.
- There is strictly no entry to the auditorium while the competition is in progress, entry to the auditorium is only allowed at predetermined intervals.
- Changing room entry for school representatives is permitted as below:
- Junior 1 & Junior 2 (1-5 candidates): 1 representative
- Junior 1 & Junior 2 (6 and more candidates): 2 representatives
- Youth 1 and older: No representatives allowed
- School representatives include teachers, school staff, or parents.
- Only candidates are allowed to enter the backstage area.
- The above are subjected to Covid-19 situation and Singapore Government safe measurement guidelines.
- IBGPS reserves the right to take photographs and videos at any time throughout the competition. This includes, but is not limited to, master classes, rehearsals or performances during the competition, or any activities in the competition arena.
- IBGPS owns the right to all photographs and videos taken throughout the course of the competition.
- Candidates or their parents/legal guardians give their permission for IBGPS, their sponsors and/or authorized third parties to use such photographs and videos for promotional and commercial purposes.
- Photography and video recording by the audience are strictly not permitted.
- Candidates agree to indemnify IBGPS from any legal action and/or cost resulting from any physical injury, illness or damage, and mental stress sustained during any activity related to the competition.
- IBGPS reserves the right to make amendments to the Rules and Regulations without prior notice.
- Failure to comply with the IBGPS rules and regulations will lead to disqualification.