Rules & Regulations
- The International Ballet Grand Prix Singapore (IBGPS) is open to dancers of all nationalities, ages 7 to 19.
- A candidate’s age is determined as of 22 May 2020.
- Professional dancers are not permitted to compete in this competition. Professional dancers are defined as persons who are currently, or has been, employed as a full-time dancer (apprentices included) with a professional dance company.
- Candidates may enter representing a school or as an independent student without school affiliation.
- Each candidate may only be admitted once for the competition in the appropriate category. Candidate must not be entered in two (2) different age categories.
- IBGPS Gold Award winners are not permitted to participate in the same age category for subsequent IBGPS competitions. They can participate in the next higher age category, provided the age requirement is met.
|Category||Age (as of 22 May 2020)||Genre|
|Junior 1||7 – 8||Ballet|
|Junior 2||9 – 10||Ballet|
|Youth 1||11 – 12||Ballet|
|Youth 2||13 – 14 * pointe optional for ballet||Ballet and/or Contemporary|
|Senior 1||15 – 16 * pointe shoes compulsory for ballet||Ballet and/or Contemporary|
|Senior 2||17 – 19 * pointe shoes compulsory for ballet||Ballet and/or Contemporary|
- IBGPS reserves the right to deny any registration at its discretion.
- Applicants will be disqualified should there be any false information filled in the entry forms.
- Entries are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Registrations will close when the competition has reached its maximum capacity, or by the registration deadline, whichever comes first.
- All changes of registered information, including variation selection, must be received no later than six weeks prior to the competition.
- Changes of registered information will incur an administrative fee of $80, and may not be reflected in the competition program booklet.
- Registration is only confirmed upon receipt of payment.
- Ballet candidates must perform a variation from the Classical Variation List.
- Ballet candidates in the Youth 2 category may choose to perform in pointe shoes or soft ballet shoes. There will be no additional marks awarded for candidates who perform in pointe shoes. IBGPS encourages all candidates to practise safe and correct technique if performing in pointe shoes.
- Ballet candidates in the Senior 1 and Senior 2 category are required to perform in pointe shoes.
- For all Classical variations, slight modification and/or simplification of the original choreography are allowed.
- If significant changes are made to a classical variation, this may result in point deduction or disqualification.
- For Contemporary candidates, the time limit for the dance is 2.5 minutes.
- Contemporary candidates must exhibit strong contemporary technique.
- Details of the Videography Guidelines will be provided after registration.
- Candidates are required to attend 1 online Technique class and 1 online Judged class.
- Online Technique and Judged Classes will be conducted on 10th and 11th October 2020.
- Online Technique and Judged Classes will be conducted via Zoom Meeting App, on the assumption of ‘living room’ condition.
- Zoom Meeting ID & Password will be sent on email closer to date.
- The jury is comprised of a panel of judges, both male and female judges included.
- The final score for each candidate is the average of scores given by the jury.
- A jury member who is associated with any candidate or school will be exempted from giving marks to the candidate(s).
- The jury’s decision on all prizes and scholarships awarded is final and irrevocable.
- The jury reserves the right not to offer any award or scholarship if there is no suitable candidate identified.
- IBGPS reserves the right to record and take screen shots of the online technique and judged classes throughout the entire duration of the online classes.
- IBGPS owns the right to all photographs and videos taken throughout the course of the competition.
- Candidates or their parents/legal guardians give their permission for IBGPS, their sponsors and/or authorized third parties to use such photographs and videos for promotional and commercial purposes.
- Photography and video recording by the audience are strictly not permitted.
- Candidates agree to indemnify IBGPS from any legal action and/or cost resulting from any physical injury, illness, damage and/or mental stress sustained during any activity related to the competition.
- IBGPS reserves the right to make amendments to the IBGPS Competition Rules and Regulations without prior notice.
- Failure to comply with the above rules and regulations will lead to disqualification.
- NEW: In view of the COVID-19 outbreak, exceptions would be applied. Registration fees for IBGPS workshop and competition will be held in credit to be applied towards IBGPS 2021 registration fees in the following scenarios (to be updated along the way depending on the development of the situation):
- Should IBGPS is postponed or cancelled; or
- In the event that the border between the participant’s country and Singapore is closed; or
- If participants show medical certification to proof they are not fit to travel or required to rest at home.
- IBGPS will also be taking the necessary preventive measures as per the Singapore Government’s guidelines during our event.